The Wheeling Park District Preschool is guided by the philosophy of “learning through play”. Through activities in art, games, storytelling, cooking, movement, and songs, children develop self-control, physical coordination, and social skills. Children are exposed to letters, numbers, colors, shapes, and readiness skills in an encouraging, nurturing setting.
The Wheeling Park District Preschool provides a secure and supportive environment for developing a love for school.
2020-2021 School Year
We are looking forward to the beginning of the 2020-21 school year on September 8 and welcoming our students back in a safe and healthy manner, but we know that this year will look different than past years. We are in the process of finalizing our parent handbook but wanted to provide you with some of the changes and modifications we have put into place in the development of a school reopening plan. That being said we have set the following goals:
- Implement and adhere to all relevant health and safety recommendations/requirements of the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Provide as normal an in-person learning environment as possible to meet the physical, social, emotional, and academic needs of all students.
- Plan ahead for any interruptions or changes that may occur during the school year.
Health and Safety Procedures
- Daily health assessment for students and staff. Parents will be required to conduct health screenings and certify the health of their children every day prior to arrival. This includes checking your child for fever or other symptoms of illness. By sending children to school, parents or guardians acknowledge that their children are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. Please note that staff will also be monitoring children for symptoms throughout the day. Any child showing signs of illness will be isolated in a safe and supervised setting until a parent or emergency contact can pick up the child.
- Face Coverings. Face coverings are required while inside the school, but not outdoors. Students should provide their own washable face coverings. The Wheeling Park District is currently offering a summer camp program and we have had great success with our youngest groups wearing their mask with limited reminders. Additionally, our program will be incorporating more outdoor learning activities, weather permitting, as this will provide the students an opportunity to take their mask off as well as allow for increased movement.
- Classroom Setup. Classrooms will be socially distanced to the greatest extent possible; tables will be arranged to promote social distancing. As previously stated, our program will also be incorporating more outdoor learning activities to allow for increased movement. We also will have use of the gymnasium in the CRC.
- Hygiene. A specific focus on hygiene will be part of each school day. All students and staff will wash their hands upon arrival, before transitions, before and after eating, and after using the bathroom. Students will be instructed on proper hand-washing techniques and will be encouraged to avoid touching their face or engaging in other behaviors that may increase the risk of illness. Hand sanitizer will be available in the classrooms.
- Limiting Student Exposure. Individuals who are not students or staff are not allowed inside the preschool wing beyond the lobby area, including parents. We also will be implementing a new drop-off and pick-up procedure where parents will not have to get out of their vehicles.
- Smaller Class Sizes. We will be limiting the class size to 12.
- Cleaning & Sanitizing. Classrooms will be disinfected between morning and afternoon sessions. This includes tables, chairs, counters and toys. Disinfecting of bathrooms will be conducted between uses by students in the classroom.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Changing requirements as well as planning for the unknown has been a challenge, as we are sure it has been for your family. We will keep you informed as information becomes available. A parent communication meeting will be scheduled for August, before the first day of school, to provide more information and answer any additional questions.
Wheeling Park District Preschool 2020-2021 School Year
|Threes||Tu/Th||9:00 AM-12:00 PM||3 yrs|
|Threes||Tu/Th||12:30-3:00 PM||3 yrs|
|Threes||Tu/W/Th||12:30-2:30 PM||3 yrs|
|Fours||M/W/F||*8:45-11:45 AM||4 yrs|
|Fours||M/Tu/W/Th||*8:45-11:45 AM||4 yrs|
|Fours||M/Tu/W/Th||12:30-3:00 PM||4 yrs|
Limited Preschool 2020-21 spots are still available! For more information or to schedule a tour contact us at email@example.com, 847-465-2940
Click to view 2020-21 Parent Handbook